Skip to main content

Difficulties In Taming Tongues


There have been  many times when all I wanted to do was speak the first words that came to my mind, Never giving any thought to what those words were or what damage they would do.
As my inner voice pleaded with me, yelled at me and shouted  from within......
" Stacey this is not a good idea" ....
I did it anyway.   ~sigh~
Sadly I had reacted to my emotions.
My hurt feelings....
My anger...........
And my frustrations.
In doing so, regardless of what the individual had done to me, I had now damaged their heart, hurt more feelings and tore their self worth in two just has mine had been.
Now my inner voice is softly saying to me...
" Two wrongs do not make a right Stacey"
And within minutes I feel horrible for reacting and not responding.
The damage has been done and I can not take back my words.

Having those emotions are a normal part of life. We all get hurt, angry and frustrated. No one is ever excluded from having them. 
However it's how we deal with them is what determines our outcome. 
Our words will set the course for our lives.

James 3:5 
Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 

A small spark can bring an entire forest to ruins and one word from a un-taming tongue can destroy the heart of  man if spoken in malice and deceit. It takes years for a forest to be restored back to it's natural habitat, it also can take years  or what can seem like a  life time for a heart to be restored to it's entirety.
It wasn't  long ago I had an individual speak  to me with such horrendous negativity and spiteful words  I could feel the spark they wanted to set from all the pain in their life trying to produce a blazing fire in mine.
The old me from years ago reared her ugly head and was preparing to speak the first words that came to mind. I could feel the pain in my heart dripping with sarcastic retaliation and cloaked in anger.
I was covered in broken vengeance.
 Taking a deep breath, OK I took several, opened my mouth to speak when my inner voice chimed in; I heard these words..... 

Proverbs 18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

At that moment I had a choice to speak life or death into the situation.
To respond or react......
To tame my tongue or let it fly loosely and aggressively.
It was hard  for me to not speak from a place of hurt, however I mustered all the strength I had, gave it to my daddy God and responded in truth and as much love as I could.
I am not saying my heart still did not hurt because it did.
And when the words from that person resurface in my heart and mind, I still have the lingering sting of pain.
 But the fruit I am eating is full of mercy and grace .
It is catered with the sweetness of unconditional love.
It is severed with the Balm Of Gilead for my healing.
And topped off with a double size portion of forgiveness.

Taming my tongue is difficult but not impossible.
  Before I speak, I ask myself a few questions.
 Are your words truth?
Are they words of vengeance?
Words intended only to hurt?
Will they defuse the situation or ignite it more?
Are they words of healing?
Do my words show love and grace?

I have learned when I respond in love, it melts the hearts of my enemies.
I may not succeed on every occasion but try I do. 
And when I fail it is my daddy God, in his correction, who gives me the wisdom and the strength to make peace.
Are you having a difficult time taming your tongue?

Difficulties In Taming Tongues~

Xoxoxo
Stacey

James 3:18
Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Touching The Hem Of His Garment

It's day 6 of my 21 day fast and I have discovered just how much I have relied on social media for my daily encouragement. It's so easy , one click of my mouse and it's there for me to see. A short cut of sorts, a quick fix in a world , my world, that is constantly moving and changing. But when I dig into my daddy Gods word, when I take the time to seek Him, the encouragement is more....So much more. Today I am encouraged by the woman who suffered with the issue of blood. For 12 years she suffered a life of misery and in her culture was considered  unclean. It was a chronic condition which means she probably had anemia as well as  physical weakness. She was hopelessly incurable by the many doctors she had sought out for medical care. She had become destitute for she spent all that she had. Everything and everyone who she would come in contact with would have become ceremonially unclean making her shunned by all in society including her family. Her husband probably

Sifting Before the Shifting

I have been hearing the Lord say " shift" for the last year.  Shift in the atmosphere, shift in our nation, shift in the church, and a shift in me.  When I think about the word shift, I see a grand swope of the hand of God moving all into a direction of peace and wholeness.I believe without a doubt He is doing so, however I never once entertained the though He'd have to do some sifting.... sifting in me. Sifting is a process, a two part process, when sifting wheat. First comes the threshing, the beating of the grain using a flail. Second part is the winnowing, throwing the mixture in the air allowing the wind to blow away the lighter chaffs and the heavier grains to fall back down for recovery.  I take a closer look at this process and begin to meditate on how it applies to my life. The threshing  is the process of removal; removing those things which will cause me to stumble.When God begins to remove, He does so with the intent of replacing; replacing with those

When My Puzzle Pieces Do Not Fit

    Putting a puzzle together can be fun, enjoyable and somewhat a relaxing time when the pieces all fit correctly the first time.  However when it is a puzzle with thousands of little pieces that require a great deal of time trying to figure out what piece goes where it can become frustrating, at least for me. Many times I have had to rely on the box top picture to navigate me through the placing of each piece and even that process can be irritating. Eventually the pieces do all fit exactly the way they were created to fit and the perfect picture is formed.It is a victory of sorts for me as patience is not my best quality.  But what about when our life's pieces are not fitting together? I had this certain picture I created in my mind, a picture how my own pieces were to fit together, my perfect box top per say. However the pieces I chose I could not force them to fit. No matter how I placed them, pushed them together, they still would not connect. My box top picture was