Skip to main content

The Need of Friendship....Featuring Brenda L. Yoder

Friendships have taken on different meanings as I’ve journeyed through life.  As a child and teen, the friends in my neighborhood made up my world.  We were an eclectic bunch, much like the Breakfast Club of Smalltown USA in the 1980’s.  We didn’t all agree on morality, religion, or politics, but even today we respect and love each other in our own way.  There is strength in growing up being respected for who you are.
As a young parent, my friendships revolved other stay-at-home moms.  We raised our kids together, shopped together, spent hours at McDonald Playlands together, went to bible studies, made homemade applesauce, and were exhausted together.  Different paths in life have brought many of us to different churches, schools, jobs, and stages with our own families as we have entered the parenting stage of family life.  But when tragedy or celebration strikes, each one of us picks up the phone, drives a child to practice, or sits and cries with each other if needed.  A sisterhood of sorts woven together by snotty noses, sports jerseys, and caps and gowns.
Now, at forty-something, my friendships have become as diversified as I have.  Workplace, graduate school, ministry, and internet have expanded communities and deepened friendships I would’ve never dreamed of when I was desperately phoning a friend to meet so I could get out of the house with toddler and baby.   Times of hurt and pain have brought people into my life I probably would have never known before.  As life experiences grow, God is gracious in bringing more people into our lives at just the right time. He is good that way. 
Through various experiences, the understanding and value I’ve placed on friendships has changed.  I’ve learned that people are not a substitute for our relationship with God and His Word.  I’ve also learned friendships rooted in God and scripture are healing, a live-giving balm in times of vulnerability, need, and hurt.  I’ve learned walking hard places without community brings despair and that every human should have safe places of friendship in the most difficult times.   I’ve learned building healthy boundaries with others is better than putting up walls or not have any boundaries at all.  I’ve learned friendships have different purposes and each one is essential in its own way.  I’ve experienced moments where I’ve seen God in unanticipated ways with people I would have never expected.  
I’ve learned that women need other women, yet we are afraid of each other.   We long for acceptance, yet we are frightened to accept ourselves and others.  We fear rejection, yet we reject.  We hunger for unconditional love but are hesitant to show it.  Every once in a while, we find friends where we aren’t rejected and we receive acceptance and unfailing love.  When this happens, we gain confidence in giving these same gifts to others.  When we offer these gifts, the depth of God’s grace and mercy is life-giving to those who are hungry just like us.   
I’ve come to the conclusion that words are the simplest, yet most powerful gift to extend God’s grace through friendship and community.   As women, our internal dialog is filled with doubt, fear, and shame.  But when another woman looks us in the eyes and gives encouragement and truth of what they see in us, new life, confidence and hope springs up.   Affirmation of who we are from our own gender is grace in the simplest form.  I love being in community with other women who are not ashamed to say to each other, “You are loved, you have purpose and value just the way you are.”   Each of us longs for this in our heart of hearts.  We know God feels this way about us.  But when we hear it from another woman?  That’s Jesus with skin on.
The power of God in friendship is found in women willing to give live-giving words of Jesus to those needing strength.   I’m increasingly grateful for women who continually give encouragement to me when I need it most.    Where can you stand with women in your life?
Colossians 3:12-14
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Comments

  1. Wonderful post my friend!! Such encouragment!!!
    Thank you for sharing and being apart of "She Stands" You are a blessing!!!

    xoxoxox
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post Brenda. I think what you have written here is so true. We certainly need each other and I believe God made us that way. Again, great post friend.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your Sweet Comments Are Loved~

Popular posts from this blog

Touching The Hem Of His Garment

It's day 6 of my 21 day fast and I have discovered just how much I have relied on social media for my daily encouragement. It's so easy , one click of my mouse and it's there for me to see. A short cut of sorts, a quick fix in a world , my world, that is constantly moving and changing. But when I dig into my daddy Gods word, when I take the time to seek Him, the encouragement is more....So much more. Today I am encouraged by the woman who suffered with the issue of blood. For 12 years she suffered a life of misery and in her culture was considered  unclean. It was a chronic condition which means she probably had anemia as well as  physical weakness. She was hopelessly incurable by the many doctors she had sought out for medical care. She had become destitute for she spent all that she had. Everything and everyone who she would come in contact with would have become ceremonially unclean making her shunned by all in society including her family. Her husband probably

Sifting Before the Shifting

I have been hearing the Lord say " shift" for the last year.  Shift in the atmosphere, shift in our nation, shift in the church, and a shift in me.  When I think about the word shift, I see a grand swope of the hand of God moving all into a direction of peace and wholeness.I believe without a doubt He is doing so, however I never once entertained the though He'd have to do some sifting.... sifting in me. Sifting is a process, a two part process, when sifting wheat. First comes the threshing, the beating of the grain using a flail. Second part is the winnowing, throwing the mixture in the air allowing the wind to blow away the lighter chaffs and the heavier grains to fall back down for recovery.  I take a closer look at this process and begin to meditate on how it applies to my life. The threshing  is the process of removal; removing those things which will cause me to stumble.When God begins to remove, He does so with the intent of replacing; replacing with those

When My Puzzle Pieces Do Not Fit

    Putting a puzzle together can be fun, enjoyable and somewhat a relaxing time when the pieces all fit correctly the first time.  However when it is a puzzle with thousands of little pieces that require a great deal of time trying to figure out what piece goes where it can become frustrating, at least for me. Many times I have had to rely on the box top picture to navigate me through the placing of each piece and even that process can be irritating. Eventually the pieces do all fit exactly the way they were created to fit and the perfect picture is formed.It is a victory of sorts for me as patience is not my best quality.  But what about when our life's pieces are not fitting together? I had this certain picture I created in my mind, a picture how my own pieces were to fit together, my perfect box top per say. However the pieces I chose I could not force them to fit. No matter how I placed them, pushed them together, they still would not connect. My box top picture was