Skip to main content

Set Apart


Deuteronomy 14:2 (NIV)
For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. Out of the peoples on the face of the earth, the Lord has chosen you to be his treasured possession.

Treasured possession...….. ~sigh~


There have been too many times in my life where I  never saw myself as a treasured possession; someone of worth. I could be standing in a room full of people, huge smile on my face, laughter echoing with a boisterous sound of a sonic boom and yet I felt so alone. Out of place. Misplaced. I never really understood how a social butterfly such as myself could feel so detached from the world around me. But disjointed I was. 

I was able to force myself into fitting in; merging with the crowd. And going with the flow. It was never just one crowd. I was a chameleon of sorts.  Changing my colors to blend with my surroundings. Always looking the part in words and action, but never understanding why I could never change the bellowing emotions on the inside forcibly stating two words...…. 

Set. Apart.

 How does one set themselves apart from the world? A world whose narrative is based on flesh and sin; a world where all atrocious behavior is painted as good for the name sake of love and yet real love, the love of Jesus, holy and pure, is stepped on and mocked.  Why? Because it is a love which does not distort its truth in order to justify the vile lies engulfing God's chosen; his treasured possessions.

Romans 12:2 (NIV)
Do not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is his good will, pleasing and perfect will.


 I had allowed the worlds imparting words describe the person I was to be. Rejected, broken, unlovable, never amount to anything kind of girl.  In reality, I was never that girl. I never could see who I truly was created to be. It has taken me many years, decades of time to realize who I am.  I am not perfect, nor will I ever be. But the one who calls me his, well he is perfect. And He says  I am chosen, blessed, favored, called with a purpose, loved beyond measure and created in my Father's image. 

Genesis 1:27 (NIV)
So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. 

I. Am. Set. Apart. 

One definition of set apart states " to put a value upon something."  The world would have us placed on a sales rack; marked down with an extra 50% off. . We are not a marked down sales item. We are made in the imagine of Christ.  Our value in Him cannot be measured. It is beyond what the human mind can comprehend. We have been chosen and set apart at the highest value; placed in a glass case lined in royal velvet and encased in gold.

1 Peter 2:9 (NIV) 
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 

God's special possession!

Say it out loud. 

Say it again. 

And again. 

We are God's special possessions!

No where does that verse say we are a sales item; a marked down commodity unworthy of any value.
Man in all attempts will say our value is found in the things of this world. However, Jesus tells us we are not of this world. Our validation comes straight from him and him alone.  



I am chosen.

You are chosen.

We are chosen.

We are...….

Set. Apart. 









 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Touching The Hem Of His Garment

It's day 6 of my 21 day fast and I have discovered just how much I have relied on social media for my daily encouragement. It's so easy , one click of my mouse and it's there for me to see. A short cut of sorts, a quick fix in a world , my world, that is constantly moving and changing. But when I dig into my daddy Gods word, when I take the time to seek Him, the encouragement is more....So much more. Today I am encouraged by the woman who suffered with the issue of blood. For 12 years she suffered a life of misery and in her culture was considered  unclean. It was a chronic condition which means she probably had anemia as well as  physical weakness. She was hopelessly incurable by the many doctors she had sought out for medical care. She had become destitute for she spent all that she had. Everything and everyone who she would come in contact with would have become ceremonially unclean making her shunned by all in society including her family. Her husband probably

Sifting Before the Shifting

I have been hearing the Lord say " shift" for the last year.  Shift in the atmosphere, shift in our nation, shift in the church, and a shift in me.  When I think about the word shift, I see a grand swope of the hand of God moving all into a direction of peace and wholeness.I believe without a doubt He is doing so, however I never once entertained the though He'd have to do some sifting.... sifting in me. Sifting is a process, a two part process, when sifting wheat. First comes the threshing, the beating of the grain using a flail. Second part is the winnowing, throwing the mixture in the air allowing the wind to blow away the lighter chaffs and the heavier grains to fall back down for recovery.  I take a closer look at this process and begin to meditate on how it applies to my life. The threshing  is the process of removal; removing those things which will cause me to stumble.When God begins to remove, He does so with the intent of replacing; replacing with those

When My Puzzle Pieces Do Not Fit

    Putting a puzzle together can be fun, enjoyable and somewhat a relaxing time when the pieces all fit correctly the first time.  However when it is a puzzle with thousands of little pieces that require a great deal of time trying to figure out what piece goes where it can become frustrating, at least for me. Many times I have had to rely on the box top picture to navigate me through the placing of each piece and even that process can be irritating. Eventually the pieces do all fit exactly the way they were created to fit and the perfect picture is formed.It is a victory of sorts for me as patience is not my best quality.  But what about when our life's pieces are not fitting together? I had this certain picture I created in my mind, a picture how my own pieces were to fit together, my perfect box top per say. However the pieces I chose I could not force them to fit. No matter how I placed them, pushed them together, they still would not connect. My box top picture was