I have been thinking a lot lately about perspective! My husband bought me a camera for Christmas (yes, it is early but I am enjoying it thoroughly) and I cannot go anywhere without looking at things differently. I see flowers and I think about how awesome they would look if I had my camera on me. I take pictures and I try to catch the insides of the flower because I want to show God's creativity. I see a beautiful sunrise or sunset and I cannot wait to dive down the passage to grab my camera to start clicking away. I have even started a blog dedicated to the favourites of my pictures, sort of like an on-line album.
But what this is teaching me is that perspective is very important. If you have the wrong angle, or the wrong light, or (if like me) you lack experience in photo taking, the whole picture can come out wrong.
So, what is my point?
The thing is, perspective in our day to day lives is very important too. If our attitudes are wrong, if we see everything through the light of negativity, or anger, or bitterness, that colours our perspective in a bad way.
But, if we view our day to day interactions, situations, trials in a different more positive light, our perspective will be coloured in a good way.
How do we do that?
- Thankfulness: 1 Thess 5 v 18: In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
- Humility: James 4 v 10: Humble yourself in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.
- Extend grace and mercy: Luke 6 v 36: Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.
- Show Kindness: Eph 4 v 32: And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ also forgave you.
- Don't think of yourself as better than anyone else: Rom 12 v 3: For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.
Do you get my drift? Our attitude is very much in our own hands. We need to practice these skills of thankfulness, humility, grace, forgiveness, etc in order for our perspective to be right. Like my camera, the more I learn the better pictures I will take (hopefully) and I need my users guide/manual for that. In life we also have a users manual or guide - THE WORD - God's word will guide us where we fail, where we need a hand up and where we need some admonishment. His word is where it is at....
So my encouragement to you is to dig deep into God's word for a better understanding on how to achieve a better perspective, day to day... And don't worry if you fail, God's mercies are new EVERY day.